Neck Pain Treatment from Auto Injuries
Neck injuries and neck pain
Neck pain can occur after a car accident for many reasons. While there are certainly many complicated factors that occur during an accident, the following gives a simple explanation of the mechanisms at work.
- As the impact occurs, the head, neck and back are whipped forcefully in a hyperflexed and then hyperextended motion.
- This forced motion is responsible for a stretching or tearing of the muscles and associated tissues of the spine.
- When this over-stretching or tearing occurs, fluid begins to build up outside the damaged tissues and begins to inflame the nerves that are surrounding this area.
- When the nerves become irritated, the muscles surrounding the area begin to spasm.
Symptoms of Neck Injuries in Car Accidents
- pain and stiffness in the muscles of the neck, upper back and shoulders
- headaches and migraines
- sensory abnormalities such as numbness and tingling may also result
Symptoms may appear directly afterwards, but are often not felt until days after the injury. This is especially true for low speed auto accidents.
TREATMENT FOR Neck PAIN FROM CAR ACCIDENTS
Chiropractic Treatment - this is necessary to realign bones of the spine and restore integrity to the ligaments, muscle, and joints.
Cold Laser Therapy - painless and drug-free, laser therapy works to decrease pain, inflammation, and swelling while increasing the body's ability to heal naturally.
Myofascial Treatments - because of the damage to soft tissues in car accidents, your doctor will employ a variety of techniques to reduce muscle spasms, stretch tight muscles, remove scar tissue adhesions, and increase mobility.
Therapeutic Exercises - as soft tissue tries to repair after an auto injury, it is important to ensure proper scar tissue alignment in the damaged tissues to ensure the best prognosis. Exercises will be performed under the supervision of the doctor to repair, remodel, and rehabilitate the injured areas. Learn more about why scar tissue healing is important.
Chiropractic care will help to not only relieve the pain symptoms, but also help ensure optimum recovery. It's one thing to deal with the pain now, but will the accident affect you in the future?
Dr. Michael Buczynski at Art of Health Chiropractic in Nashville, TN has treated over 1100 auto accident patients over the past two years. He has worked with patients exhibiting symptoms such as whiplash, headaches, wrist and shoulder sprains, disk bulges, hip and knee pain, numbness, tingling, back pain, and more.
Call the office at (615)953-7544 to schedule your appointment today.